Broquest Revival
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Temporary forum for developers, artists, contributors, or whoever is interested in the awesome idea that is Broquest.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Mechanics Overview: World Exploration

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Raziel
Admin

Mechanics Overview: World Exploration Empty
PostSubject: Mechanics Overview: World Exploration   Mechanics Overview: World Exploration EmptySun Mar 16, 2014 10:52 am

So how open will the map be? How will a big world effect travelling from city to city?

I believe for the player to truly feel the world we need to make the maps between big cities fully open. Fill them up with secret chests, puzzles, and small villages.

“But Raziel, wouldn't that be pain in the ass for you mappers to do?”

Well, not really since those maps won’t be affected by main story, so it gives us more freedom to do things we like.

Players can easily rush those maps if all they care is the main stuff, but they will miss some exclusive stuff. We want exploration to be rewarding. They might miss stuff form exclusive weapons to even dungeons and companions.

“OK, I just did everything there is to do in those maps, and now the game wants me to backtrack to a previous town.”

There will be a way-point in every major city. When the player unlocks a way-point, he can use them to open a world map and travel to other way-points. This is faster, but there might be random encounters on the route. It is still undecided if this service will cost anything. I am thinking the player should be able to hire a scout group that eliminates random encounters for a short time.

This is open for discussion. Keep in mind we are talking about open world here. City and Dungeon exploration will have their unique mechanics that set them apart.
Back to top Go down
Clown

Mechanics Overview: World Exploration Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mechanics Overview: World Exploration   Mechanics Overview: World Exploration EmptySun Mar 16, 2014 12:40 pm

I think it could be be open and very large, with the option of fast travel.

But instead of boring teleportation, make it an ancient space ship. Riding this ship opens up a larger Overworld map to travel from area to area quickly, while still having the option of taking the scenic route by foot, if you so want.
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1