Broquest Revival
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Temporary forum for developers, artists, contributors, or whoever is interested in the awesome idea that is Broquest.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Linear vs. Non-Linear

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Nave the DM

Linear vs. Non-Linear Empty
PostSubject: Linear vs. Non-Linear   Linear vs. Non-Linear EmptyWed Mar 12, 2014 5:34 pm

Just posted this on /vg/:

So, I've weighed some of the criticism on the document so far, and I'm considering a few heavy revisions and restructuring it a bit (trying to add a bit more humor). I'm also taking the initiative to try to organize the writers into a cohesive team.

But before I do, let me ask the good people what they would prefer:

A Linear Main Storyline that incorporates various villains, each harder than the last, culminating in a final big bad to save the world

OR

A non-linear game in which every villain has its own main quest and upon completing each one, you unlock the final boss battle and save the world

Each leaves plenty of room for side quests, loyalty and recruitment missions, etc.

The former would be easier to scale the difficulty of the villains, as each would be harder than the last, while the latter would probably put the villains on roughly the same level of challenge, but in different ways (Undead King has minions, Elder Sorcerer has various spells, etc)

As it stands I've been writing a linear story, and on the bus ride over I thought about this non-linear idea with the villains having their own stories and schemes that can be played in any order.

My prime concern with the second idea is outpowering the other bosses after finishing about two. Perhaps it can be dealt with by scaling the bosses and their minions, but going from, say, killing the Unstoppable Juggernaut to getting your ass kicked by bandits in the woods doesn't make much sense, you know? It'd be kind of like what happened in Oblivion with random bandits wearing Daedric Armor.

So, which would you prefer?
Back to top Go down
Nave the DM

PostSubject: Re: Linear vs. Non-Linear   Linear vs. Non-Linear EmptyWed Mar 12, 2014 5:52 pm

Here's a very scientific image detailing my two points:

Linear vs. Non-Linear Story_11
Back to top Go down
Triptune
Admin
Triptune

PostSubject: Re: Linear vs. Non-Linear   Linear vs. Non-Linear EmptyWed Mar 12, 2014 7:03 pm

Here's how I see it.
From 1 to 4 first quest bosses.
Then it expands into many options.
Just like a visual novel where you don't get to see some of the characters depending on which route you pick.
Just that you won't be dating women in this game: you'll be dating bosses,Linear vs. Non-Linear 13946610
Back to top Go down
Raziel
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Linear vs. Non-Linear   Linear vs. Non-Linear EmptyThu Mar 13, 2014 3:31 am

Non linear. Also don't blow your loads too quickly. We don't need to waste all villains in one campaign. We can always add more content later, like expansions. We need to set realistic expectations here.

Last edited by Raziel on Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cockey Dongs

PostSubject: Re: Linear vs. Non-Linear   Linear vs. Non-Linear EmptySat Mar 15, 2014 2:20 pm

The diagram on the right looks like the Tree of Life.

I think non-linear would work better. It would make more sense to develop one or two storylines at a time and add them to the game as they're finished.
Back to top Go down
M_O

M_O

PostSubject: Re: Linear vs. Non-Linear   Linear vs. Non-Linear EmptySat Mar 15, 2014 2:33 pm

Completely open world from the very start, player should only be limited by enemy difficulty. After all the conditions for progression are met, the main questline opens up a brief linear sequence that leads to the final boss.
To solve the level scaling & imbalance issue, make each end villain ridiculously powerful. Powerful enough that the player will have a hard time matching them even at the highest levels. But! each of them will have his own specific weakness to exploit. For example, one of the bosses might be highly susceptible to a Reflect spell to counter his own attacks, but you won't get the spell until late in the game.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Linear vs. Non-Linear   Linear vs. Non-Linear Empty

Back to top Go down

Linear vs. Non-Linear
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Broquest Revival :: BroQuest Development Workshop :: Lore, Main story, Side Quests Writing-
Jump to: